Quick Chili – 100th Post!
It’s my 100th post of the Cooking with Michele blog! I suppose I should be featuring something exotic or celebratory, but I know what most of my readers want, and that’s recipes you can make any day of the week. Here’s one of them – a quick chili recipe that doesn’t disappoint.
I’ve made the all day chili recipes that simmer and meld flavors and they’re great – I just didn’t have time for that yesterday when I cranked this out in about 30 minutes while prepping for another cooking event.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound beef, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 whole green pepper
- 1 cup black eyed peas, or other canned beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces tomatoes, canned, diced
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a medium saucepan. Add beef, onion, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and onion and pepper are slightly softened. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or longer if you are using a tougher cut of beef, stirring occasionally. Top with shredded cheese if desired before serving. Note: If you like more heat in your chili, add some cayenne, some chipotle, or diced jalapenos.