March 6, 2009 | Appetizers, Vegetables
I know what you’re thinking – why in the heck am I posting a recipe for SUMMER rolls when we haven’t even hit spring officially yet and they are predicting snow and rain tomorrow? Well, despite the weather, I’m craving something lighter to eat. After so many potatoes, beets, carrots, celery root, and cabbage from the farm this winter, I’m ready for summer food! Add shrimp to these for a complete meal or just make them for a simple vegetarian lunch.
- 8 large rice paper wrappers
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cucumbers, blotted dry with paper towels
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 ounces rice noodles, cooked
- Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Ensure that all filling ingredients are prepared before beginning to assemble the spring rolls, and divide the ingredients into 8 even portions. Soak one rice paper wrapper in warm water for 5-10 seconds and then lay on a flat surface. Working quickly, spread carrots, cucumber, avocado, green onion and rice noodles across the middle of the wrapper, leaving about 1 inch on each side. Fold the bottom flap of the wrapper up, then the two sides in to form an envelope, and then continue rolling tightly until completely sealed. Repeat with remaining rice wrappers and filling.