Vegetable Salsa with Black Beans and Avocado
It’s amazing to me how kids will try a new food once they have grown it themselves and especially after cooking it themselves.
I let them jump in to help me make a batch of vegetable salsa after we had quickly run through 2 huge bowlfuls of the stuff. It’s good, made better by the really fresh vegetables including sweet corn that was phenomenal.This is the type of recipe where you can totally improvise on ingredients – add whatever vegetables you have on hand that you think go together and enjoy!
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red or green pepper, diced small
- 1 red onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1 large tomato, diced small
- 1 large carrots, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients and stir gently to combine. Salsa tastes best if you let it stand for 30 minutes before serving for flavors to meld. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Can also be used as a side dish, salad, a condiment for chicken, fish, or pork, or a filling for tortillas.