January 21, 2011 | Beans & Grains, Popular, Vegetables
Looking for a simple side dish that you can serve with chicken, pork, or fish, something that works well as a salad, a vegetable, or a dip? This is your dish. Whips up in minutes, can be made virtually any time of the year, nutritionally sound, tastes great! I served it last night at an event I did beside Chicken Mole served over Creamy Polenta, and the lightness of the relish was a perfect complement to the heavier polenta and mole. Leftovers to make a great veggie quesadilla the next day, so guess what I’m having for lunch?!
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 8 ounce bag of frozen corn kernels
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2-4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients and stir gently to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving for flavors to meld. Great as a side dish for a Mexican meal or as a dip with tortilla chips.