Coconut Macaroons…make me swoon!

February 9, 2011 | Desserts, Popular

Did you know that most chain grocery stores have samples of some baked good sitting out in the back by the bakery section? I think they are supposed to be to keep kids quiet in the store, or perhaps to help an elderly person who’s having an energy crisis. But I like to sneak a taste – somehow eating cookies back there hidden between the loaves of Italian bread feels good to me. This past week they had out a tray of coconut macaroons dipped in some chocolate. I went straight from the bakery section to the baking goods aisle and bought a bag of coconut to make my own.Sometimes there’s a lull in the middle of my cooking classes, as was the case last week when we needed to let the 5 soups we were making simmer away for a bit, and I try to pull something spontaneous out of the pantry for the group to make to fill the time. Why not put my students to work making my macaroons for me? I mean, I did share – everyone took home a bag full, and left me just enough to satisfy my craving post-bakery tasting. We used the recipe on the bag of coconut and it whips up in about 2 seconds – or perhaps a bit longer if you have young kids working on their skills to separate eggs like I had!

Coconut Macaroons
Yields about 30

Adapted from the back of the Baker’s coconut bag.

14 ounces sweetened coconut flakes (1 bag)
2/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites, not whipped
1 teaspoon almond extract

Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add egg whites and almond extract and stir until well blended. Drop by tablespoonful onto greased and floured cookie sheets or onto a silicone baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees, just until edges of cookies are golden brown. If using silicone liners, cool on baking sheets, otherwise Immediately transfer to wire racks and cool completely.

I like a little chocolate with the coconut – kind of like a Mounds bar – so I like to melt some dark chocolate in a double boiler and drizzle just a little over the top of the baked macaroons.

Comments

1. I wouldn’t hide to eat these anywhere. I love these and haven’t had them in forever. I’ll blame it on my husband who doesn’t like coconut. I’d have to eat them all by myself. Darn, right?

2. Possibly my favorite sweet, especially with the dark chocolate!

3. Wow. My mouth is watering. I love coconut.

4. I just made these today, and they are amazing. Thanks so much for the recipe!

See how mine turned out here: http://chocolatecoveredtherapy.blogspot.com/2011/03/almond-coconut-macaroons.html

5. Made these today! They tasted really well, except I melted waay too much chocolate. Did you know there can be too much chocolate? I had no idea.

6. [...] Coconut Macaroons [...]

7. [...] Recipe: Coconut Macaroons [...]

• pasta pugliese
  • opus restaurant denver
  • mustard's chili dog with a taste of fries
  • 12 manhattan new york the modern moma brie souffle
  • root down denver gnocchi
  • restaurant roundup
  • sushi den sashimi lunch

My Cookbooks

TASTING_COLORADO_FRONTCOVER

Taste_of_Washington_FRONTCOVER

almonds apples arugula Asian asparagus avocado bacon balsamic basil beans beef beets bison braising broccoli brunch butter cabbage cake carrots celery cheese chicken chiles chili chocolate cilantro coconut cookbook cookies corn cranberries CSA cucumber curry dips eggplant eggs fennel feta cheese gardens garlic giveaway goat cheese grains grilling herbs ice cream Italian kale lamb leeks leftovers lemon lime Mexican mint muffins mushrooms nuts oats olive oil onions orange pancetta parsley peppers pesto pickles pine nuts pizza plums pork potatoes quinoa rice ricotta roasting salmon sausage shrimp soy spaghetti spinach squash stews strawberries sushi sweet potatoes swiss chard tarragon Thanksgiving tomatoes tortillas tuna turkey vegetarian vinegar yogurt zucchini

Chef Profile - CO Homes & Lifestyles