Toasted Coconut Ice Cream

July 1, 2011 | Desserts,

I get weird food cravings every once in awhile. Maybe toasted coconut ice cream doesn’t sound that weird to you, but it certainly wasn’t the obvious all-American dessert to make on Father’s Day to accompany my rib-fest. But I had a craving, and I had been itching to try making ice cream from coconut milk (sans dairy) for some time, so there you go.I’ll warn you up front: coconut toasts faster than even pine nuts, which translates to burned batches if you don’t watch it carefully on the stove. When it just starts to get brown, pull it off, stir it around, and it will continue to toast.I like a custard based ice cream made with egg yolks, so added them to the mix here, but you can leave them out if you need to and make a straight coconut ice cream. I’ll warn you that the coconut milk is already less creamy than heavy cream, so it translates to a slightly icier/grainier texture. Leaving out the egg yolks will make it even less creamy. But despite the texture, this stuff is easy to make, delicious, and a great treat for those of you who can’t eat dairy. And it’s perfect for the heat that seems to have blanketed much of the northern hemisphere right now. Make a batch, put your feet up, and cool off!

Toasted Coconut Ice Cream

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 3 cans light coconut milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • ½ - 1 cup sugar (I used ¾ cup)
  • pinch of salt
  • ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
Instructions
  1. Combine one can of coconut milk with the egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a double boiler over medium high heat and cook, stirring continuously, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining coconut milk and toasted coconut. Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Notes
Coconut milk is less creamy than traditional dairy products used in ice cream. Soften slightly in the microwave if serving straight from the freezer.

Comments

1. I’m certainly glad you had an itch…I think it sounds divine. The funny thing with me and coconut. I seldom get a craving but whenever I use it, I love the results. I’m sure this would be included in that love business!

2. I freeze coconut milk all the time and eat it, so this is perfect for me. Adding the toasted coconut puts it over the top. Thanks for sharing.

3. Mmm, that looks so good! I’ve made ice cream with coconut milk before, but without the egg yolks. I bet those add a delicious richness. I love the toasted coconut on top :)

4. […] 7. Toasted Coconut Ice Cream […]

5. Sounds Yummo.
    Wondering do you use the whole cans of coconut milk or do i need to seperate the thick cream out of the “milk” ?
    Also would this exact same receipe work with full cream coconut milk rather than light? Why did you use light, would full cream fatten the taste and make a little less icey?
    Thanks for you help, can wait to give it a try later this week.

6. I think I’ll be trying that toasted coconut ice cream! Sounds so good.

Rate this recipe:

• tamayo
  • aspen the wild fig alamosa striped bass-1
  • restaurant roundup
  • black pearl denver shrimp tacos
  • 12 manhattan new york the modern moma brie souffle
  • mccormick and schmicks lobster salad
  • taste of the nation vail

My Cookbooks

TASTING_COLORADO_FRONTCOVER

Taste_of_Washington_FRONTCOVER

almonds apples arugula Asian asparagus avocado bacon balsamic basil beans beef beets bison braising broccoli brunch butter cabbage cake carrots celery cheese chicken chiles chili chocolate cilantro coconut cookbook cookies corn cranberries CSA cucumber curry dips eggplant eggs fennel feta cheese gardens garlic giveaway goat cheese grains grilling herbs ice cream Italian kale lamb leeks leftovers lemon lime Mexican mint muffins mushrooms nuts oats olive oil onions orange pancetta parsley peppers pesto pickles pine nuts pizza plums pork potatoes quinoa rice ricotta roasting salmon sausage shrimp soy spaghetti spinach squash stews strawberries sushi sweet potatoes swiss chard tarragon Thanksgiving tomatoes tortillas tuna turkey vegetarian vinegar yogurt zucchini

Chef Profile - CO Homes & Lifestyles