Buttermilk Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Chives
April 28, 2012 • Vegetables
I don’t know many kids who don’t love mashed potatoes. Here’s a recipe to surprise your parents with – adding a little bit of buttermilk to your potatoes along with some chives will make them seem a bit more grown up, but I promise you’ll still love them!
- 1 to 1¼ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (or other variety of potato)
- ½ cup lowfat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic chives (or regular chives)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tell your parents you'd like to help make dinner and ask for their supervision!
- With the help of a parent, clean the potatoes under cold water then carefully cut into 1 inch cubes. Add to a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Carefully drain.
- Return cooked potatoes to the pot and add buttermilk and butter and use a potato masher to smash them together, combining the buttermilk and butter as you do so. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.