Cheesy Pasta Bake with Beef and Vegetables
You’ll have to forgive me – I’m not really back in the kitchen cooking very much since getting my knee replaced 6 weeks ago. Except for catering the food for 120 people for my niece’s wedding this weekend, that is. Yikes! I’m sure you’ll then appreciate knowing that there is something this delicious that can be easily thrown together when you don’t have much time. And did I mention my husband loved it?
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (or bison, thicken, turkey or pork)
- 1 medium to large zucchini, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Fresh chopped basil and oregano (or use dried)
- 12 ounces short pasta, slightly undercooked
- 1½ pounds mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the beef. Cook, until just barely pink, and then add the zucchini and onion and continue to cook over medium high heat until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh or dried herbs to taste, and stir together. Turn out into a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the cooked pasta and cubed mozzarella and pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.