Tarragon Lobster Salad
Do you love lobster? I don’t really, but I do know that many of you consider this a special treat. Lobster meat is rich and filling, but also pricey – the four lobsters for this dish cost $100, so plan to make this for a really special event!You can either cook the lobster the day before and make the salad when you’re ready to serve it, or make the entire salad the day before. Garnish with a little more fresh tarragon, and make the presentation pretty.
- 4 lobsters (about 1½ pounds each), dispatched
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 14 endive leaves
- Heat a large pot of salted water over high heat until boiling. While waiting for water to boil, remove the tails and claws from the lobster and discard the bodies. When the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat, add the tails and claws, and cover. Let the tails sit in the boiling water for 6-7 minutes, then remove and plunge them into an ice bath. After another 2-3 minutes, remove the claws and plunge them into the ice bath.
- When the lobster parts are cool, remove the meat from the shells, chop the meat into large pieces and refrigerate until ready to use. May be done the day before.
- Combine mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot, tarragon and chives in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add lobster meat to mayonnaise sauce and toss to coat evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon lobster salad onto endive leaves or over mixed greens.