Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Feta Cheese and Pine Nuts
Sometimes all it takes is the addition of a few ingredients – spices, goat cheese, and pine nuts – to take something quite plain – the humble sweet potato – and turn it into something special. Don’t have fresh herbs on hand for garnish? Leave them off (I simply forgot). Allergic to nuts? Omit them. Hate feta cheese? Replace it with shaved Parmigiano or crumbled goat cheese. You get the idea – this is simply a starting point, and where you take this recipe is up to you. These potatoes were a perfect accompaniment to the herb crusted rack of lamb I posted last week.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- Chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Toss the sweet potatoes with just enough oil to barely coat them, and spread them on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, then roast at 400 degrees until browned and soft, about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your cubes, turning once with a spatula.
- Spread the cooked sweet potatoes onto a platter and sprinkle with feta and pine nuts. Garnish with chopped herbs if using, and serve with extra virgin olive oil at the table.