Black Bean Brownies
What do you do when you (or someone you care about) has an insatiable sweet tooth? Denying ourselves the pleasure of these foods only leads to binging, so I am a proponent of instead sneaking in healthy elements. Instead of just scrambled eggs, include some stir fried veggies mixed in. Instead of just meat in your meatloaf, cut the meat with grated vegetables. And instead of straight brownies, add some beans for texture and nutrition. This works for kids, but seems to work well on older folks too if you keep it a secret! 😉
- 1 14-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Place the beans and oil into the blender and puree. Add eggs cocoa, sugar, and vanilla and puree until smooth. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl and then add to the blender, pulsing just until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease and 8x8 glass baking pan with cooking spray or butter and pout the batter into the pan. Smooth the top, then bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Let cool before cutting and serving.