Cheesy Mushroom and Rice Casserole
June 8, 2020 • Side Dishes
Sometimes the very best dishes come out of simply trying to use up what’s in your refrigerator – like this one. I had 2 pounds of mushrooms that needed to be cooked, some spinach that was nearly the end of its fresh life, leftover rice, and some cottage cheese. Voila!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds mushrooms, stems discarded, sliced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, cooked, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup garlicky breadcrumbs (crushed croutons work well)
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released all of their moisture and are nicely browned.
- Mix the mushrooms with the spinach, rice and cheeses, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch casserole dish. Cover the top with breadcrumbs, and bake until bubbly about 30-45 minutes (takes longer if you make ahead and refrigerate).