Smashed Potatoes with Escarole and Bacon
April 30, 2020 • Side Dishes
This dish is very similar to colcannon, the Irish dish of mashed potatoes and cabbage. I came up with the idea after getting some escarole, which can be a bit spicy as a raw green, from a farmer friend, and of course I figured wouldn’t this be better with bacon? The recipe is easy, but really flavorful, and even better leftover the next morning with a fried egg.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (I used the small ones but it can really be any potato)
- 4 thick slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small head of escarole, chopped into large pieces (you can sub any other greens you like)
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes into a pot and cover with cold water. Add a bit of salt to the water, cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook, eat a skillet over medium high heat and cook the bacon until desired level of crispy.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them together with the escarole. Pour in the bacon and as much of the fat as you'd like (more is better!) and mash together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.