Bison and Mushroom Ragu
April 18, 2022 • Sauces
I love meat, and I can’t imagine giving it up entirely. But I’m always thinking of ways to eat more vegetables and less meat, and this ragu is a perfect example of that. Mushrooms have a meaty texture to them already, and they impart a wonderful flavor into a ragu sauce. The recipe makes a big batch so you can freeze leftovers in smaller containers for a simple weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds ground bison (or beef)
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 3 28-ounce cans of high quality Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 3 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 4 cups cooked mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 rinds from Parmigiano Reggiano
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat; add the meat and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until browned.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, parsley, and mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese rinds, submerging them into the ragu. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and remove cheese rinds before serving. Serve ragu over polenta or toss with pasta.