Smoked Sausage, Peppers, and Onions with Creamy Mustard Sauce
Have you missed me? Did you think I fell off the face of the earth after catering my niece’s wedding earlier this month? While I have been away – a reunion in Jackson Hole with some college friends I haven’t seen for over 30 years (post coming soon) – the big news that I’m bursting with excitement about is a new opportunity that I’ve begun: recipe development for Prairie Grove Farms, a producer of 100% all-natural pork, who needed some recipes to showcase their wonderful cuts of meat and meat products. Those recipes will be posted on their website soon, and I’ll be sure to post here also with a link for the recipes when they launch.In the meantime, I’m up to my eyes in sausage dishes in the refrigerator because I was asked to create recipes for those products first. I made a simple but delicious Bratwurst and Vegetable Kebab as my first recipe, and decided to use the leftovers to create this pasta dish for dinner, since my husband could eat pasta every night of his life. You can either use leftover grilled food like I used, or simply create the recipe from scratch. With my appetite just returning after getting my knee replaced 8 weeks ago, I found this perfectly satisfying without being too heavy, and hope you’ll like it too!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 bell peppers (variety), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 links Prairie Grove Farms Smoked Sausages, sliced (or other cooked pork sausages)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup half and half or cream
- ¼ cup coarse grain mustard
- 8 ounces farfalle or other short pasta, cooked and drained
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the peppers and onions; cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, half and half, and mustard, and stir gently. Bring to a simmer and let cook until slightly thickened and tomatoes wilt a bit, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and stir together over medium heat for about a minutes. Serve immediately.