Fast and Easy Instant Pot Coq Au Vin
March 30, 2020 • Meat & Poultry
This post starts with a nice glass of red wine. That’s because I made this recipe on the second day of committing to isolation to help prevent the further spread of COVID-19, and because there are a few things I need in a crisis: my family, my sweetheart, potato chips, cooking, and a drink. I’m not advocating binging because of crisis, but doing things that make us feel comforted. This recipe is also something that comforts – and it’s easy thanks to the pressure cooking setting of an Instant Pot.The recipe starts with a braising liquid that also includes bacon, mushrooms, carrots, and onions.After a quick saute of the bacon and onions, the other ingredients are added and the chicken is nestled into the braising liquid. Because chicken cooks quickly, it only takes 20 minutes in the Instant Pot. I served this with mashed purple potatoes – because those are always great when you need some comfort.
- 1 small chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms (I used shiitake), rehydrated
- 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 large fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup rich chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken into whole breasts (I cut them away from the bone so they are boneless) and two whole legs. Remove the skin and discard.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot and saute the bacon for 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, tomato paste, bay leaves, wine, and stick and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and then close the Instant Pot and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Release steam manually and serve with potatoes or rice.