Coconut-Jalapeno Rice with Salmon
If you’ve been jumping on the sheet pan dinner craze (where everything cooks together on one sheet pan for ease of cooking and cleanup), then this skillet dinner is right up your alley. The rice is started in a wide skillet then the salmon steams on top. You’ll go from prepping to eating in less than 30 minutes with this easy recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro, optional
- 1½ pounds salmon filets
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet set over medium high heat. Add the shallot and jalapeño and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice, and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is slightly translucent. Season with a little salt and pepper, then stir in 1 cup of the coconut milk. Pour the rest of the coconut milk into the measuring cup and add water so that it reaches one cup, then add to the skillet along with the fish sauce. Stir everything together, cover, reduce to simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, then season the salmon filets with salt and pepper and lay then on top of the rice. Cover and cook over simmer until the rice and salmon are cooked, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove the salmon and cut into individual serving pieces. Stir the rice well, pulling up any browned bits from the bottom, before serving.