Before I left for a week on a houseboat on Lake Powell, I was in the kitchen whipping up things to take on the trip while at the same time trying to use up any foods that would spoil while we were away. I knew people would love a muffin with their coffee in the morning, so I created this muffin recipe to use up the remaining sad looking apples sitting in my fruit bowl. Like most of my muffin recipes, they freeze well and can be reheated quickly in the microwave in the morning. They were a hit, so I hope you like them too!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2-3 apples, cored and diced small (leave the skin on for more nutrition!)
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs (or 3 smaller eggs), lightly beaten
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, melted
- Combine the flours, bran, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well. Combine apples, eggs, yogurt, and melted butter; stir together, then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir just until well mixed, then spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then remove from muffin tins to cool completely. May be frozen.