Roasted Cauliflower with Sage Brown Butter
March 29, 2021 • Vegetables
You will never know how incredibly delicious this is just by looking at that picture. Brown butter elevates anything from gnocchi to cookies, and it turns out to be deeee-licious on cauliflower. While I used orange cauliflower for this, any color will work. And while I sliced mine into thick pieces to roast, you can really cook the cauliflower any way you like.
- 1 head of cauliflower, any color
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 large sage leaves
- Salt and pepper
- ½ stick butter
- Place a small pan of water on the lowest rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Carefully use a knife to remove the leaves and tough core of the cauliflower, then slice the head into ½ inch thick slabs and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a small pan over medium high heat and then add the sage leaves. They will sizzle until the water is evaporated and they become crisp. Carefully remove them to a paper towel when crisp to drain. Pour the sage flavored oil over the cauliflower and season it with salt and pepper. Roast the cauliflower in the oven until slightly browned and softened, about 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the butter in the same pan until it foams up and starts to brown, taking care not to burn it. Remove it from the heat and crumble the crisp sage leaves into the butter.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and toss it with the sage butter in a bowl. Serve immediately.