New York Sour
January 3, 2022 • Beverages,
This cocktail seems like a blend of an old fashioned and a bourbon sour but with the interesting twist of floating fruity red wine on top of the glass which not only gives it an interesting taste, but makes for a nice presentation. You’ll want to gently stir the wine into the drink before you start sipping.I had intended to only drink one of these, but after working two days back to back prepping and packing pies to deliver as part of a fundraiser at Project Angel Heart, I couldn’t resist a second one!
New York Sour
Author: Cooking with Michele
Recipe type: Beverage
- 2 lemons
- ½ cup 100-proof bourbon
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (see notes)
- Fruity red wine (about ⅓ cup)
- Peel off two strips of zest for garnish and then juice the lemons - you will need ¼ cup of lemon juice.
- Combine the lemon juice with the bourbon and simple syrup in a shaker will ice and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds. Place a large ice cube in each of two lowball glasses and pour the mixture evenly between the two glasses using a strainer to catch any remaining ice in the shaker.
- Position a soup spoon upside down over the glasses with the tip just touching the ice cube and very slowly pour red wine into the glass to that it floats on top of the bourbon - add enough wine so that it's about ½ inch in the glass.
- Rub each rim with a lemon peel then add to the drink. Serve, then stir before drinking.
To make simple syrup, combine ¼ cup of sugar with ¼ cup of water in a small sauce pan and heat over high heat just until the sugar melts. Cook before using.