Coconut Chicken and Rice Casserole
May 30, 2022 • Cooking for One (or Two), Easy Entrees, Meat & Poultry, One Dish Meals
There is something great about a simple one pot meal, and this recipe (adapted from The NY Times) is a great example. The dish has tons of flavor from the coconut milk, ginger and garlic, and it comes together in 30 minutes for a quick week night meal. The original recipe called for boneless chicken thighs, but I happened to have a large chicken breast that filled in nicely. The original recipe called for adding chopped cashews over the top, which I know my partner would have loved, but I forgot them!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast, cubed (about 8 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, then add the chicken, spreading out into a single layer. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes to brown on all sides. Remove to a platter.
- Add the ginger, garlic and rice and stir for 1 minutes before adding the stock, coconut milk and pepper. Stir together then nestle the chicken into the mixture. Bring to a boil, then cover and bake until the rice is cooked through and the moisture is absorbed.
- Garnish with scallions and cilantro before serving.