August 17, 2012 | Meat & Poultry, Salads
Here in Colorado, we have a number of venues for outdoor concerts in the summer where you can bring a picnic dinner – Denver Botanic Gardens, parks in Highlands Ranch, and the famous Red Rocks Amphitheater up near Morrison. But my favorite for simplicity is hands down Hudson Gardens.We met friends there on Sunday to see ELO – I love the artists they bring to Hudson Gardens because they are a bit old school, we always seem to know the words to every song they play, and it’s set in a beautiful park where the sun sets behind the trees and the stage as you sit on the grass and watch them play. For our dinner, I decided to make a summery steak and potato salad, starting with some slivered red onions……and some fresh corn. You’ll need to shuck the kernels from the cob, but you do NOT need to cook it. Really fresh summer sweet corn is just as tasty raw. You’ll also need some waxy variety of potatoes (so they don’t fall apart when cooked), cut into bite sized pieces and steak of your choice (I’m not sure what my cut was (unlabeled mystery grass fed beef package!), but it was a bit tough so I marinated it in some balsamic vinegar before grilling it and then sliced it against the grain.)This salad assembles quickly. Cook off the steak on the grill while you boil the potatoes until just barely cooked through. Let the steak rest before slicing it, and toss together the hot steak and hot potatoes with the onions, corn, parsley, and dressing. (I’ve had a version like this before with green beans added which work well too if you have them.) The hot steak and potatoes will absorb some of the dressing, enhancing their flavor. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled – a perfect dish to easily transport to your favorite concert venue in the park.
- 1 pound waxy potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces (skin on)
- 1 pound steak of your choice (flank or NY strip work well)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water until just barely fork tender. While potatoes are cooking, grill steak to desired temperature, then rest under foil for 5 minutes before slicing into bite sized pieces.
- Combine onion, corn and parsley in a large bowl. Drain potatoes and add to vegetables along with steak. Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a covered container and shake well to combine, then pour over salad and toss. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.