Sweet Potato Hummus
February 22, 2010 • Appetizers, Popular, Snacks, Vegetables
I’m cooking dishes for a surprise birthday party for a friend tomorrow night, and this was first up on my list today. The recipe was created by a friend of mine, Megan, who is one of the coordinators from Operation Frontline Colorado. It’s easy, it’s tasty, and it’s different.It all starts with a large sweet potato – scrub it well before microwaving it because we use the whole thing in this recipe, skin and all. Nutritious, yet I promise you’ll never even know the skin is in there.The potato goes into the food processor along with chickpeas……along with some garlic that’s been cooked in extra virgin olive oil just long enough to take away any sharpness to it. Pour the oil and the garlic all in together. Add the juice and zest of a lemon, feta cheese, cumin, salt and pepper, and you’re good to go!Funny – people who don’t like sweet potatoes like this dish, and people who don’t like hummus like this dish – go figure! I’m serving it tomorrow with some store bought pita chips, but this is great with my homemade Pita Crisps as well.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 oz feta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼-1/2 cup water, as needed
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat and cook garlic for 1 minute, then pour oil and garlic into the food processor. Microwave sweet potato until soft, the place in food processor with all remaining ingredients;process until well blended, adding water as needed to achieve a smooth consistency. Serve with vegetable sticks or pita crisps.
2 Comments • Comments Feed
I love hummus and I love sweet potatoes, so I’d probably love ’em together! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂
March 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm
Oh yummy!! I love sweet potatoes and I LOVE hummus! I’ve never thought of combining the two. Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to try it.
February 22, 2014 at 8:56 pm