August 23, 2021 • Appetizers, Easy Entrees, Pasta & Pizza
If you’re swimming in zucchini at this time of year, this makes a very easy vegetarian dinner or appetizer for a party. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s full of flavor thanks to the goat cheese and basil oil.It’s key to drain some of the water out of the zucchini before you assemble this and to overlap the zucchini because it shrinks while it cooks. I served this recently for a block party and our friends devoured it!
Author: Cooking with Michele
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 medium large zucchini, about 1½ pounds
- Tart crust
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Basil oil
- Slice the zucchini very thin on a mandolin or v-slicer. Toss the zucchini with about 1 tablespoon of salt in a large bowl and let sit for an hour. Drain off the water then gently squeeze the zucchini dry in a clean kitchen towel.
- Combine the goat cheese and Parmigiano with 2 tablespoons of basil oil and mix well.
- Roll the tart dough out into a large oval that will fit on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, spread the seasoned goat cheese out over the dough leaving ½ inch on the edge. Starting from the outside layer the zucchini slices in overlapping layers in a circle, working your way into the middle. Sprinkle with ground pepper and bake at 375 until the crust is golden brown, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Drizzle with a little extra basil oil before slicing and serving. Can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature.