Rock ‘N Rolla
December 6, 2021 • Beverages,
I chose this bourbon cocktail to be next up because of its fall flavors of apples and allspice. I tweaked the recipe significantly from the one Food & Wine offered – more bourbon, less lemon juice, less maple syrup (although I think it could have used a bit more so that’s reflected in the recipe), replaced the St. Elizabeth liquor with allspice berries, and replaced the nutmeg garnish with an apple slice and lemon peel.Which is to say this drink might be quite a ways off from the drink created Bay Area bartender Chris Lane. But I wanted to feature the apple, which by the way is delicious to eat at the end after it soaks up the bourbon!
- 6 ounces bourbon (or 4 ounces if you use 100 proof)
- 2 ounces apple juice
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used 1 but think 2 would be better)
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 2 apple slices
- 2 pieces of lemon peel
- Combine the bourbon, apple juice, lemon juice, syrup, allspice and bitters in a cocktail shaker and add 2 ice cubes. Cover and shake well.
- Place a large ice cube in each of 2 glasses and strain the cocktail mixture into the two glasses. Garnish each with an apple slice and piece of lemon peel.