This recipe is the result of boredom. I decided to make this on the 31st day of my isolation at home thanks to COVID-19. It’s not much different than lasagna, except that the roll-ups are kind of cute and fun to serve. I made the filling vegetarian, but you could certainly add some meat to the mixture if you want. Make ahead in the morning or the day before and just pop these into the oven to bake when you’re ready to get dinner on the table.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 egg
- ½ of a nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 10-ounce container of baby spinach, wilted, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked 2 minutes less than package directions
- 2½ cups marinara sauce
- Combine the three cheeses with the egg, nutmeg, salt, pepper and spinach in a large bowl and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Lay lasagna noodles flat and divide filling evenly between the 6 noodles. Spread from end to end and then roll up the lasagna noodles, taking care not to squeeze the filling out.
- Spread a cup of marinara on the bottom of am 8 x 8 glass baking dish, then place the rolls into the sauce. Spoon a ¼ cup of marinara sauce on top of each roll, cover with foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.