Grapefruit and Fennel Salad with Avocado

January 6, 2010 | Fruit, Salads

I’ve been telling myself for 6 days now that I’m going to start eating lighter, but there is something about the 10 degrees and snow in Denver that’s making me want to curl up with a stew and potatoes (wait until you see the lamb stew later in the week)!Fortunately, citrus is in seasonand I was inspired by watching Giada make a fennel and citrus salad a couple of days ago. Hers was a bit different, but this is my twist on it.The star of this salad is fennel – something many people haven’t cooked with. Cooked it takes on a sweeter taste and makes an excellent gratin main ingredient, but raw it’s crisp like celery with a mild anise flavor.It’s separated into two key parts – the fronds are the delicate wisps you see at the top of the vegetable and the bulb is the dense part at the other end. For this recipe, we’ll use both. See that core in the bulb? You’ll need to cut the bulb into quarters through that core so you can use a small knife at an angle to remove the tough core.Then thinly slice the fennel bulb.Segment the grapefruit. Forgotten how? Refresh your memory here. Make sure to catch all the juices while you do it and to squeeze the rest of the juice from the membranes too.Next up some thinly sliced red onion – more or less than I used according to your taste – and some diced avocado. I used a whole avocado for four servings, but again, more or less to taste. I like more – and tell myself it’s ok because it’s a “good fat”.And there you have it. Toss it together with the reserved juice, a little olive oil, and some salt and pepper and call it salad. I actually served this like a slaw over the top of a perfectly seared piece of salmon (also inspired by Giada and I’ll post that tomorrow. Hint: it’s glazed with agave.)

Grapefruit and Fennel Salad with Avocado
Serves 4

1 fennel bulb,trimmed and very thinly sliced
1 large red grapefruit, segmented, juice reserved
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 avocado, diced
1 tablespoons minced fennel fronds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine sliced fennel, grapefruit, onion, avocado, in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine. Whisk together reserved grapefruit juice and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add dressing to salad and toss to combine. Serve over mixed greens or as a relish over fish.

Comments

1. My favorite kind of Salad is none other Potato Salad. it really taste yummy.*~-

2. my girlfriend has a grape fruit plantation in their backyard and we always taste some of the harvest.';`

3. we always use grapefruit on our dessert and this is a fruit that is full of antioxidants too.`;;

4. whenever my sister makes potato salad, i always eat them in less than a minute or so he he. i just love all sorts of salad. ,~`

5. i like to make some Grapefruit tea at home, it taste really great“.

6. we have a grapefruit plant on our home backyard and the fresh fruits taste so much better:.’

7. russian salads are kind of addictive, my mom always make those russian salad at home.*”

8. potato salad and fruit salad are two of my favorite salads. i also like the tangy taste of chicken salad-*`

9. I sort of found your web site accidentally, but your site caught my eye and i also thought that I might post tell you that I enjoy it.

10. [...] with Fuyu Persimmon, Cookin’ CanuckPersimmon Salad with Ginger, Mint and Yogurt, the kitchnGrapefruit and Fennel Salad with Avocado, Cooking with MicheleGrapefruit Avocado Spinach Salad, Scraping the SkilletGrapefruit, Orange and [...]

• earls kitchen
  • steubens blackened chicken club
  • capital grille denver
  • cannelloni undici denver
  • the kitchen upstairs boulder
  • kitchen denver sauteed greens with garlic
  • Valentine's Menu

My Cookbooks

TASTING_COLORADO_FRONTCOVER

Taste_of_Washington_FRONTCOVER

almonds apples arugula Asian asparagus avocado bacon balsamic basil beans beef beets bison braising broccoli brunch butter cabbage cake carrots celery cheese chicken chiles chili chocolate cilantro coconut cookbook cookies corn cranberries CSA cucumber curry dips eggplant eggs fennel feta cheese gardens garlic giveaway goat cheese grains grilling herbs ice cream Italian kale lamb leeks leftovers lemon lime Mexican mint muffins mushrooms nuts oats olive oil onions orange pancetta parsley peppers pesto pickles pine nuts pizza plums pork potatoes quinoa rice ricotta roasting salmon sausage shrimp soy spaghetti spinach squash stews strawberries sushi sweet potatoes swiss chard tarragon Thanksgiving tomatoes tortillas tuna turkey vegetarian vinegar yogurt zucchini

Chef Profile - CO Homes & Lifestyles