Sour Cream Muffins with Lemon and Poppy Seeds
I have been really trying to limit less than complex carbs and sugars in my diet, but every once in awhile you need to bake something sweet. These muffins are actually not overly sweet, and I substituted some whole wheat flour for some of the white flour. You can omit the poppy seeds if you don’t like picking them out of your teeth, and you could add a cup of blueberries instead. The lemon flavor is mild, so if you want more lemon zing, add the zest of a second lemon to the batter.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups sour cream (full fat is best)
- ½ cup half and half
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, salt, soda, baking powder, poppy seeds and lemon zest in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, eggs, sour cream and half and half, then pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter evenly between 18 muffins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5 Comments • Comments Feed