Pizza with Pesto, Roasted Beets, and Goat Cheese
December 28, 2020 • Pasta & Pizza
I love roasted beets, but it seems every time I cook some, I cook too many, and am not sure what to do with the leftover beets other than a classic salad. It was in thinking about a beet and goat cheese salad that I came up with the idea for this pizza.You’ll want to start with a good pizza dough – you can try this recipe or this one. I like to cook my pizza on a pizza stone, which needs to be preheated in the oven to a hot temperature, then you’ll need to use a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal to make the transfer of the raw pizza to the hot stone. I prefer pulling the pizza out when it’s done instead of a prescribed cooking time – you can lift up the crust with a spatula to see if it’s brown and crisp, and make sure the toppings are hot and bubbly, which is probably about 15-20 minutes.
- Pizza dough
- ½ cup pesto
- 2 cups roasted beets, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, diced and cooked until lightly browned
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbles
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 including the pizza stone if you are using one.
- Toss or roll the dough to a shape that will fit your pizza stone or baking pan. Dust a pizza peel or a baking sheet heavily with cornmeal, then lay the rolled out dough on top. Spread the pesto over the dough, then top with the beets, onions, and 2 cheeses.
- Bake until the crust is lightly brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.